Bridgewater College’s Highly Anticipated Intramural Basketball Season

Nathaniel Winebarger

Players prepare for their 8 p.m. tip-off. Teams receive about ten minutes to warm up and get loose before they take the floor.

Nathaniel Winebarger, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – Each year, basketball is a very anticipated intramural sport at Bridgewater. This year, the 2023 season is no different as there are several teams in the mix to win it all.  

The league features 11 teams with five to ten players on each. Each team plays nine to ten games per season before the playoffs begin.  

Many students who participate in the intramural basketball season are athletes at Bridgewater College that used to play basketball at a younger age or simply enjoy the game. It is an opportunity to continue to play basketball competitively while still having fun. 

Junior Hayden Hawes is a golfer at Bridgewater, but this will be his second year participating in intramural sports due to their cancellation during the 2020-2021 school year because of Covid-19 regulations. Hawes is also a member of the defending champions of the intramural basketball league.  

“This is probably the closest to a real game I will ever play again, so I might as well enjoy it and give it all I’ve got,” said junior Hayden Hawes. “I love the game of basketball. No matter where or when I get the chance to play, I am going to give it all I have.”  

The season also provides students an opportunity to work as paid referees. Many of the referees also participate in the league as players too. 

The Bridgewater community comes together in the Funkhouser Center on Tuesday and Thursday nights and is made up of players, referees and spectators.  

“Being a referee and a player really helps me understand the pressure of how important making the right call is. It makes me realize that it is harder than I thought, and when I am playing, maybe I should cut the referees some slack,” said sophomore Richard Edmonds.  

A unique aspect of the league is how competitive it is. There are often big crowds in attendance for the games, so the energy is heard from the sidelines, as well as from the players. 

“I like the competitiveness that the league brings. It makes you feel like you’re part of a real team again playing competitively and giving it your best effort,” said junior Trevor Sager.  

Some students have even started social media accounts featuring content and exciting action from games. The social media account can be found on Instagram and TikTok as @funkhoops, which is not affiliated with Bridgewater College Athletics. 

Games are on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week and begin at 7 p.m.