Local Habitat for Humanity Continues to Serve During COVID-19

Central Valley Habitat for Humanity

A team of Central Valley Habitat for Humanity sponsors at a groundbreaking ceremony for a duplex project in Broadway, Virginia. Construction began in August of 2020 and recently finished in January of 2021.

Sienna Sullivan, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – After celebrating building 60 homes for the community in 2018, Central Valley’s Habitat for Humanity navigates continuing to serve those in need during the pandemic.

CVHFH works with low-income families in the Harrisonburg and Rockingham County area who are either unable or ineligible to qualify for a conventional and affordable mortgage.

“We don’t see financial challenges as any reason someone shouldn’t have a home just like anyone else,” said Central Valley’s Community Outreach Coordinator Kirsten Lambert.  

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings, the organization has narrowed necessary on-site persons from 20 to less than five.

“We have closed volunteering to the public, we don’t want to put anyone in harm’s way,” said Lambert.

When it becomes safe to do so, Lambert suggests the best way to get involved with the organization’s activities is through Bridgewater College’s Habitat for Humanity Club.

“They usually work with us once a semester on a build and will also take spring break trips to other areas in the US where they work on different Habitat builds,” said Lambert of the BC club. 

According to BC’s Habitat for Humanity Outreach Coordinator, junior Amanda Nesselrodt, the club is currently brainstorming COVID-19 friendly replacements for the cancelled Alternative Spring Break trip and usual builds. 

If construction is not your forte but you still want to get involved, the organization is eager to take on volunteers or interns to help with homeowner course instruction, family sponsorship and especially running fundraisers.

“Fundraisers are a very important part of what we need just because with COVID-19, like everyone else, we are having to do some creative work financially so that we can keep running,” said Lambert.