Lights, Camera, Action

Regal Cinema in Harrisonburg to Reopen After Announced Closure

Regal+Cinema

Brooke DiCicco

Regal Cinemas, located off of University Boulevard in Harrisonburg, has plans to reopen in 2021 after announcing their permanent closure in Oct. 2020.

Brooke DiCicco, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – In Oct. of 2020, Regal Cinemas announced the permanent closure of their Harrisonburg theater. Feb. of 2021 saw the announcement of the theater reopening. 

The Daily News Record stated that in Oct., Armada Hoffler Properties — landlord of the lot —  ended the Harrisonburg lease and another lease in Virginia Beach. However, in February they reinstated and amended the leases.

According to WHSV, there is no tentative opening date yet. However, there are plans to build an apartment complex on part of the ten acre lot of the theater, which will bring 288 new housing options to Harrisonburg.

Regal is one of the closest theaters, other than the Sipe Center in Bridgewater, for BC students. 

“I’m glad it’s not going to be gone forever anymore,” said junior Destiny Shoemaker. “I have a lot of memories of going there, but I also think we have too many local COVID cases for them to reopen just yet.”

Sophomore Omar Bryson stated that the reopening of the theater might affect campus with a decrease of students attending movie nights. 

However, sophomore Kiana Carter said that “it could be different because of COVID,” as there may be an increase of cases after the reopening and students may feel safer staying on campus and away from the public. 

Carter stated that having the campus movie nights is a better option to limit contact and the potential spread of COVID-19. 

“It’s interesting that they closed and reopened,” said sophomore Madison Barclay. “I know when we were trying to find places to go we went to Waynesboro and that was a little far from the campus. I think it would be really cool to have a place closer to campus, and I know we have the Sipe Center in Bridgewater, but I also think more options are always cool.”

Another local Harrisonburg business that closed during the pandemic is Moe’s, however, the restaurant also reopened on Feb. 25. During their first week of operation, Moe’s had a contest that gave away a year of free burritos to 25 patrons who scanned their rewards app at purchase.