Campus Clubs and Organizations: Meet BCAllies

Johmae Miller

BC Allies President Garrett Estep and Vice President Abby Gaver, both class of 2023, talk to their attendees about the pride progress flag of the LGBTQIA+ Community.

Johmae Miller, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – BCAllies is a student-led club on-campus that is dedicated to the advocacy, education and celebration of the LGBTQIA+ community.

“I want to go more in depth about different gender identities and allow more representation and education of the ones that are underrepresented by our society,” said Garrett Estep, a junior psychology major.

Estep is the president of the club and he strives for a safe environment for attendees to feel comfortable enough to speak to each other about their queer experiences and learn more about their queer identities.

“I stepped into the president position of BCAllies in hopes to learn about and express certain parts of my own identity and allow others to have the same opportunity. I want this club to focus on learning more about the queer community as a collective,” said Estep.

The club plans to host a queer prom in the future for the students that did not have the school-dance experience. “An experience that many others have the privilege of attending and participating in comfortably, safely, and openly,” said Estep.

If you would like to be involved in BCAllies, meetings are every Friday at 7 p.m. in Mckinney 126. Contact the club via Instagram @bc_allies and via email at [email protected] for more information.