Afrofest is Coming to Bridgewater College

AfroFest+Poster

Gemima Matela

The poster for the Afrofest event, which will be happening April 1 at 7 p.m. in Cole Hall. The event is sponsored by the African Student Association.

Elysia Gomez, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The African Student Association recently held auditions for the upcoming Afrofest celebration that will be happening on April 1 at 7 p.m. in Cole Hall. The event will feature dancing, modeling and stepping. 

“My mom is Kenyan, and I had looked forward to participating my sophomore year, but before the show could happen, we got sent home for Covid-19  and the show was canceled,” said senior Savannah Blake. “So I’m excited to share my culture this year!”

For the auditions, the e-board of AFSA served as judges and selected who will be showing their talent at the event. As a part of the auditions, students had to do their own step or dance, or they could do a model walk for the fashion show part of the event. 

“It was difficult being a judge, but we made good decisions that day,” said junior Bryan Dozie. “I would advise people to come and to learn about different cultures in Africa and how they dress. There will be amazing performances.” 

Dozie is secretary for the AFSA and will be the upcoming president for the next academic year.

Correction: A previously published version of this story listed the acronym for AFSA as ASA; ASA is the Asian Student Association. The article was updated on March 30, 2022. We apologize for any confusion.