The True Meaning Behind Baccalaureate

Bridgewater College

Past Bridgewater students lining up for Baccalaureate. Baccalaureate is one of the first times graduating students get to wear their cap and gowns.

Nina Andrews, Assistant Web Editor

Bridgewater, Va. – The Spring is an active time of year for graduating seniors with the many different celebrations and ceremonies on the schedule. One of the main ceremonies that Bridgewater College sponsors is a baccalaureate service.

“Baccalaureate is traditionally a religious service that is offered at some colleges and universities and high schools, but is known for being predominantly at colleges and universities. It always happens around the commencement, often the night before, and it is a religious service offered to the graduating class and their families and really anyone who wants to come” said Chaplain Robbie Miller. 

Although Baccalaureate is not required for students to attend, Miller wishes for all students to be there. 

“I will not be attending baccalaureate, because I am not religious. I am actually Agnostic. If it were required I would attend out of respect,” said senior Ryanna Power. 

“I’m going to baccalaureate because as a Black woman and first generation college student, we gotta celebrate our accomplishments every chance we get,” said senior Taylor Stafford. 

The baccalaureate service includes worship and musical selections from choir students. The event is also one of the first times besides Founders Day where students get to wear their caps and gowns. 

This year’s baccalaureate speaker is Miller. The service will be held Friday, May 6 at 6 p.m. in Nininger Hall.