Students Suggest Their Favorite Shows and Movies

Melody Maker Magazine

The Grabber is a sadistic killer from the movie “The Black Phone”. This horror film was one of the students’ favorite recommended movies.

Bryce Heinbaugh, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- With the colder weather coming in, students share their suggestions for their favorite movies and shows. With these recommendations, students can bundle up with their pumpkin spice lattes and enjoy themselves.

What’s New:

• Junior Karis Dryden shared that her favorite show is “P-Valley”. The show, which first aired in July 2020, tells the story of a group of exotic dancers in the fictional Mississippi city of Chucalissa.
  • “It shows the type of lifestyle and the harshness of life,” said Dryden.
  • Junior Kerissa Brandon shared that her favorite show is “Grey’s Anatomy”. The show first aired in March of 2005 and focuses on the titular character, Dr. Meredith Grey, and her coworkers’ personal and professional lives in the medical field. 
  • “I love watching medical shows,” said Brandon. “I like all the drama in it.”
  • Another junior, Charli Daum, revealed that her favorite movie is ‘The Black Phone”. This horror movie, released in June, tells the story of Finney Blake, a 13-year-old boy who is abducted by a sadistic killer, The Grabber. 
  • While in his kidnapper’s basement, Blake finds a black rotary phone from which he can hear the previous victims who plan to aid in his escape. With Halloween quickly approaching, this movie is quite relevant to the holiday season.
  • “I just really like scary movies,” said Daum.

Why It Matters:

• Shows and movies like these suggestions can help people wind-down after a long day and relax, entertain viewers with the drama and even offer a grounded look at life. Others can cause excitement and tension.
  • “I love the rush and excitement it gives me. I like being scared,” said Daum.

What’s Ahead:

• For those interested in “P-Valley”, season three released in June. 
  • For “Grey’s Anatomy”, there are 18 seasons with a total of 400 episodes. Season 19 will premiere on Oct. 6 at 9 p.m. on ABC.
  • “The Black Phone” is available on Amazon Video or Apple TV.