Things to do in the Valley: Natural Chimneys

Hayden Gourley

Natural Chimneys will reopen on Monday, May 1. More information can be found on their website.

Melia Ross, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Natural Chimneys is a park in Mount Solon, which is located about 15 minutes away from Bridgewater’s campus. Natural Chimneys have different activities for visitors to enjoy, including campgrounds, hikes and shelter rentals. 

The hike up to see the chimneys is quite short and is less than a mile. There are no steep trails and is only a little rocky in one section.

“I thought the hike was doable,” said junior Trevor McClelland. “My friends and I all hiked up the trail, and it was a little rocky when we got closer to the chimneys. Other than that, it was super easy.”

The park is open from dawn to dusk seven days a week. Some visitors have stated how beautiful the park can be during sunset.

“I enjoy seeing Natural Chimneys during sunset,” said junior Katie Yoder. “We bring dinner and eat while taking in the breathtaking views. It is really peaceful up there”.

The park also includes a pool which is open in the summer, as well as a playground.

Other activities at the park include camping, fishing in designated areas, grilling and special events throughout the summer months. In addition, visitors can bring leashed pets as long as they are cleaned up after and supervised.