BC Sports Recap 10/10

Johnson_O%E2%80%99Grady

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Ann-Marie Johnson and Lisa O’Grady team up for a block. The duo came up big leading the Eagles in kills and blocks throughout the three matches they played this week.

Leyton Pullin, Sports Editor

Bridgewater, Va. – The Eagles continued the fall season with rivalries that were renewed and physical contests that took place all across the ODAC.

Women’s Golf

The BC women’s golf team placed at number ten in the Generals Invitational on Monday and Tuesday. The Eagles faced nine nationally ranked teams in the event. 

Once again, first-year Sophia Martone led the way for the Eagles as she continued her great fall campaign with a top 25 finish.

The Eagles will be back in action on Oct. 11 at the Knights Invitational.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team opened the week with a clash of cross-town rivals as Eastern Mennonite came to town. 

BC got on the board in the first half as sophomore Parker Richard redirected a ball into the back of the net giving BC a 1-0 lead. 

Junior Matthew Shelor sealed the game in the second half, putting the Eagles up 2-0, as he netted the insurance goal to make it 2-0 — which would be the final score.

BC then made the trip to Randolph-Macon on Saturday and ended in a 0-0 draw. 

The Eagles will be back in action on Wednesday at home against Roanoke College. 

Volleyball

The BC volleyball team started a busy week; they traveled to Roanoke on Wednesday for an ODAC date with the Maroons.

The Eagles got behind early, dropping the first set 18-25, but then rallied — winning the next three to take the match 18-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-21.

Junior Lisa O’Grady led the attack for the Eagles with ten kills and junior Ann-Marie Johnson was the big presence up front tallying seven blocks — more than the Maroons had in the entire match. 

The Eagles then made the trip to Maryland for a matchup with Hood College, where once again O’Grady and Johnson led the way for the Eagles as they picked up a straight set win 25-13, 30-28, 25-19.

O’Grady fired away and ended with 14 kills. Johnson used her height to her advantage once more as she tallied eight blocks, which was more than double the blocks that Hood had in the entire match as a team.

The Eagles finished the week with a matchup against Goucher on Saturday, with a dominating straight set victory 26-24, 25-12, 25-11.

Johnson again led the way. This time in both major offensive categories with 11 kills and five blocks.

BC will be back in action on Wednesday, when they will host Lynchburg at 7 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team took on Washington and Lee on Saturday in a rematch of the 2020 ODAC championship game. 

Sophomore Ashley Sabatino led the fast start for the Eagles as she netted the game’s first goal unassisted to put the Eagles up 1-0. A few moments later, the Eagles stayed on the attack and put their second goal on the board as sophomore Maren Dougherty headed a rebound in off of a corner to put BC on top 2-0.

Washington and Lee would score right before and after the half to tie the game at 2-2.

BC had multiple chances at the end of the half, but could not get anything on the board, so the game headed to OT.

Both teams had chances in both overtime periods but no one was able to score, ending the game in a draw.

The women’s soccer team moves to 9-1-2 on the year and 2-0-2 in the ODAC. They will be back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 13, when they travel to Ferrum.

Football

The BC football team dropped their fourth game in a row to Ferrum as the Panthers mounted a comeback in the second half to take the game 14-10.

BC led 10-0 at the half, but Ferrum scored 14 unanswered in the second half to pick up the win. 

The Eagles drop to 2-4 on the year and will be back in action next Saturday, when they host the Apprentice School on Saturday, Oct. 16.

BCVoice Player of the Week

Through a tough and grinding week of competition, Ann-Marie Johnson stayed consistent and led the Eagles in blocks in all three of their wins this week. The junior averaged 6.67 blocks per match on the week and added 22 kills in total as well — earning her the title of BCVoice player of the week.