The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Vivek Ramaswamy Withdraws From 2024 Election

ABC News
Former president Donald Trump and Vivek Ramaswamy showing respect for each other after dropping out of the election.

Bridgewater, VA. – A notable Republican candidate, American biotech business entrepreneur and New York Times best-selling author Vivek Ramaswamy announced on Jan. 15 that he would be suspending his presidential campaign.

The 38-year-old candidate would have been the youngest candidate in America to win the presidential election. 

In his 11-month campaign, he held the most events in Iowa by far, 323 public events. A few of Ramaswamy’s notable pitches included wanting to raise the voting age to 25, advocating to deport the children of illegal immigrants who are in America and questioning the government’s involvement in the 9/11 attack.

Ramaswamy decided to drop out of the presidential election after not gaining notable traction in the Republican party’s first nominating contest in Iowa. His polling peak only reached about 11%.

Since the beginning of Ramaswamy’s campaign, he adopted an “America First” stance as an alternative to the campaign of former President Donald Trump. Ramaswamy even talked about keeping Trump as an advisor or even Vice President if he were to win the election. With Ramaswamy’s withdrawal from the election, he has decided to become a vocal supporter of Trump in the upcoming election.

Just a day after Ramaswamy’s announcement of his withdrawal, he stood next to Trump on stage in New Hampshire, vocalizing his endorsement for Trump in the election. Since this announcement, Trump’s polling peak has climbed ever since, reaching about 67% as of Jan. 23.

During the beginning of his campaign, Ramaswamy had no interest in any role except being the president, but since dropping out of the election, he says that he is open to the role of being Vice President. 

“I’m not somebody who’s going to be able to speak [about] anyone’s convictions but my own, so if that’s a role that I can perform from the Vice President [sic] or any other one, I’m going to evaluate whatever is best for the future of this country,” Ramaswamy quoted, “But my number 1 commitment is to truth.”