Bridgewater Holds Spring Career and Internship Fair

Mackenzie Hammack

Students had the ability to talk to a wide variety of employers at the Center for Career Development’s Career and Internship Fair. Employers were there to help students find positions including full-time jobs, part-time jobs, seasonal jobs and more.

Mackenzie Hammack, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On March 7, the Center for Career Development held its Career and Internship Fair in the FLC. Over three dozen employers were in attendance to recruit students for internships, part-time jobs, full-time jobs, seasonal jobs and more.

The Career and Internship Fair was preceded by multiple events held by the Center for Career Development to help students prepare for the event. Additionally, the Center for Career Development had multiple handouts giving students advice on what to bring and what to wear.

When students arrived at the event and checked in, they were given both a map of the layout of employers at the career fair and a list giving students advice on which employers they should talk to based on their major. Additionally, students were able to take a handout with advice on how to network and talk with employers.

“Even if you are not planning on getting a job immediately after undergrad, it’s a great way to practice networking,” said Learning Services Librarian Taylor Baugher, who was helping check students in. “Trying to find a job is probably the most important part of college.”

Many of the students at the event were seniors preparing for life after graduation, but many underclassmen also attended the event. 

“I find it very helpful that not all of the tables are just for graduating seniors,” said sophomore Jamie Rexrode.

While there were a wide range of employers, from banks and school systems to summer camps and police departments, looking to fill a variety of positions, many of them were looking for students with similar qualities.

“We come every year because of the small atmosphere,” said Sherrie Wheeler, a representative of the Buena Vista County school district. “We’re looking for work ethic, soft skills, a desire to love children and to love education and for people who want to expand their education.”

Many employers were looking for students who had both an interest in their field, but, primarily, employers were looking for students who were willing to learn and grow their skills in whatever job position they chose.

“I’m really just looking for anyone who has great communication skills, great personal skills and is a people-person,” said Kyle Mike, who was recruiting for sales and management positions with Sherwin Williams. “I can train anyone to be a salesperson, so I’m looking for a good all around candidate, someone who wants to grow within the company.”

Some of the employers at the event were also Bridgewater College alumni.

“I got a super well-rounded education here,” said Bryce Miller ‘09. “Not only from the bio-environmental science side, but also a well-rounded education that prepared me for the workforce. Be eager and look for any opportunity to learn and expand. There’s so much that can be learned outside the classroom.”