Bridgewater College Custodial Services ‘Doing the Best They Can’

Students Voice Their Thoughts on the Cleanliness of Campus in the Midst of the Pandemic

• “Custodial staff has been around more than I’ve ever been able to identify before,” said sophomore Samantha Klimczak. As custodial staff are on the front lines of Covid-19, their presence and contributions have become increasingly evident to Bridgewater College students.

• One of the ways custodial staff are fighting Covid-19 is through frequently sanitizing surfaces. “I do like how they have wipes available in the beginning of class, but the issue with that is, they aren’t mandatory, and when they run out they’re usually out for about two days before a refill,” said junior Walter Robb.

• Students have begun to recognize that the entire weight of keeping campus safe cannot fall on the custodial staff. “I believe they’ve done all that they can, but it comes down to the students following the program as well,” said junior James Mayo.

• Students feel that ensuring that campus is safe is an all hands on deck responsibility. “From what I can tell, they’re working really hard to keep the campus clean. I think the students themselves are doing a better job of cleaning too, so it helps,” said junior Deshon Holmes explained.

• Junior Samantha Brooks stated that main buildings, such as the Kline Campus Center, look “pretty decent.” A part of keeping main buildings safe is the provision of hand sanitizer.

• Lounges in the Wampler Towers are one of the communal spaces that require frequent cleaning.“The common areas are clean for real. They do a good job of taking this pandemic seriously,” said junior Joshua Trapp.

Katie Baker and Jalissa White-Jones