The Intramural Department Hosts its Weekly Basketball Shooting Competition

Two Underclassmen Win Free Intramural T-Shirts

Intramural+Basketball

Zachary Gray

Alex Hulleman goes up for a jump shot while he and Thomas-Talley shoot around once the event concludes. Hulleman is a health and exercise science major and was focused more on shooting around than participating in the event.

Zachary Gray, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – First year Eric Thomas-Talley and sophomore Alex Hulleman were the only two students to attend the basketball shooting competition, but the outcome was that both students left with free intramural t-shirts. 

A week ago, the intramural department had three upperclassmen attend the basketball competition as a friend group and this week’s event saw similar results.

Thomas-Talley showed up on time for the event and for the first half it looked like he was going to be the only one there, until Hulleman showed up 30 minutes into the event. 

Hulleman was unaware of the event and was there to shoot around with his friend Thomas-Talley, until the director of the event asked if Hulleman would like to participate. 

Both students began by attempting to make as many free throws as they could in 30 seconds, then moved to layups, then finally, three pointers. 

The students tied with two layups a piece. Thomas-Talley won the layups with 23 and also won the three point challenge with two. 

The two students stuck around after the event to continue shooting and it seemed that was the real reason they were there. 

“I just wanted to get out of my room and this gave me that chance to,” said Thomas-Talley. “I found about it in the email they send out every week.” 

“He told me to come, so that’s why I’m here,” said Hulleman of Thomas-Talley. 

Even with a low number of participants, both students believe it was a good idea to host these kinds of events every week because it gives students a chance to get out of their rooms and to destress from school work. 

Due to COVID-19, the intramural department has had to reinvent events to host that only involve one or two person teams. For basketball, they are limited to hosting these one person shooter competitions between students.