ESports Club Arrives at Bridgewater College

Erin Dietz, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater College Information and Technology Department has announced the creation of an eSports club for the 2021-2022 academic year. The IT department first announced the new club at the Ultimate Game Night they hosted on Sept. 24. 

ESports has steadily grown in popularity over recent years. Popular video game franchises have seen gamers reach a professional level of gameplay with almost every released game, and many individuals have turned their hobby into a career 

I think eSports has become so popular over the past few years, because of how universally accessible it is. Whether you are someone who is interested in playing the games or just watching them, you can generally find something to participate in that is free, or a very limited cost,” said co-organizer of the club Tristan Supples, a systems and network engineer in the BC IT department.

According to the National Association of Collegiate eSports, over 170 colleges and universities across the country have registered esports teams that are recognized as varsity sports organizations. 

“I think it is a great opportunity to expand BC’s appeal to a wider group of prospective students. I’ve heard that other colleges have launched eSports teams of their own, so this is definitely a good first step toward BC keeping with the times,” said senior Benjamin Chatterton. 

The club aims to build a community for gaming enthusiasts on-campus. Students with a passion for video games and who want to meet peers with similar interests can find a welcoming place in the eSports Club.

We wish to create a fun, friendly, safe, diverse and accepting environment for all gamers on-campus to be able to express themselves through their love for video games and eSports. We also hope to put on tournaments and other events to bring together club members and the general student body in nights of fun and fair competition around everyone’s favorite games,” said Supples.

Students interested in participating in the new club should contact [email protected] or [email protected] to learn more.