BC Basketball Recap: A Winning Wednesday for the Eagles

Men and Women’s Basketball Come Up with Big Wins

Lamont Jones

Junior forward Alec Topper goes to block a shot against Randolph College in their previous game on Feb. 11. Topper made a massive impact on Wednesday’s game against Shenandoah. The men’s basketball team’s next game is on Feb. 18 at 4:30 p.m. against Averett.

Allison Burris

Womens Basketball 2/15

Bridgewater, Va. – On Feb. 15, the lady Eagles soared past Roanoke 67-46 securing an upset win for their last home game in Nininger Hall. 

The Eagles wasted no time putting points on the board with a solid layup from junior guard Abby Freeman. Sophomore guard Abby Branner added to the tally, sinking a three-pointer about thirty s.econds later. 

Roanoke eventually cut the run and put two points on the board shortly after. 

Bridgewater went on a seven-point run, pulling away from the Maroons. The Maroons responded with a layup, but the Eagles were able to counter with five points before closing out the first quarter. 

Freshman guard Riley Corcoran slipped in a three-pointer in the last four seconds of the first quarter and put the Eagles ahead 19-8. 

Opening the scoring for the second quarter was first-year post Jay Garcia who drained a jumper in the paint. Roanoke tried pulling ahead by putting three points on the board, but the Eagles were eager to stay on top and put up seven more points. 

In the last second of the second quarter, sophomore guard India Dailey laid in two points to keep the Eagles ahead 35-14 going into halftime. 

Wasting no time going into the third quarter, Corcoran was the first to score and put up two points in the paint. Roanoke capitalized a minute later off a foul from Corcoran and converted on two free throws to then score off a layup shortly after. 

The Maroons tried to play catch up and put up four points to close out the quarter, but the Eagles gave no breathing room and stayed ahead 47-32. 

Roanoke spoke first in the fourth quarter and put in the first three points. Scoring was back and forth between the two teams, but the graduate-student post Erika Nettles had the last points of the quarter and secured the win for the Eagles 67-46. 

Men’s basketball 2/15

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater men’s basketball team was able to secure a thrilling 63-59 win on the road this past Wednesday against Shenandoah. 

The Hornets opened the first half with a three-pointer, but the Eagles quickly responded seconds later with a three-pointer of their own from junior forward Alec Topper. Scoring went back and forth throughout the first half until a three-minute scoreless period. 

Both teams traded fouls and rebounds until sophomore forward Landon Hawes ended the period executing on the line with a free throw. The scoring continued to switch between teams until Bridgewater strung together six consecutive points. 

The Hornets responded with seven straight points that made the Eagles call a timeout to regroup. 

The men came out strong with a three-pointer from graduate-student guard Andy Pack. Sophomore guard Shod Smith added to the tally with a strong layup in the paint. 

Shenandoah closed out the first half by converting on a free throw which put the Hornets up 36-30.

The Eagles opened the second half by getting four points on the board before Shenandoah could convert on two. Another two minutes of rebounds and turnovers between both teams allowed for a momentum change when Pack secured two layups halfway through the second. 

The Eagles put up seven points over the next four minutes, and kept up the momentum against the Hornets. Shenandoah put together four points trying to reach the Eagles, but Hawes and Smith kept the Eagles moving forward with two solid layups. 

The score closed in within two points in the last three minutes of the half, but Pack hit a jumper to pull the Eagles ahead by four. The Hornets tied the game up 56-56 by converting on free throws late in the second half. 

The lead changed four times within two minutes, but the Eagles ran away by converting on a jumper and two free throws from Topper. Sophomore forward Aaron Oates sealed the deal for the Eagles sinking a free throw in the last three seconds to get the Eagles to win 63-59.