BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Eagles Soar to Victory with a 1-0 Triumph Over Regent

Men’s Soccer Kicks Off Season with a Winning Debut
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Junior Lestath Savage, showcasing both possession control and a keen eye for goal-scoring opportunities, appears poised to lead the team in goals this season. His impressive skills and work ethic were again evident as he secured a game-winning goal, a feat he accomplished twice last season.

Bridgewater, Va.- On Friday Sept. 1, the Eagles defeated the Royals in a highly encouraging start to the season on home turf and are looking to keep things rolling along.

As they approached the season opener, the Eagles were fueled by high stakes. According to a recent ODAC poll, they were initially predicted to finish in seventh place in the conference. However, their victorious start to the season marks a significant stride in the right direction.

The Eagles initiated the game with relentless and unyielding pressure, keeping the Royals on the defensive throughout the entire match, and limiting Regent’s opportunities to make a significant impact on the game.

Junior Charles Schweinefuss efficiently managed his duties, yet the afternoon saw him untested in the official save department, a testament to the Eagles’ resolute defensive performance throughout the game.

A dedicated team supporter and member of the crowd, Alex Hisel stated, “Overall, our performance today was impressive. Our defensive line demonstrated resilience against Regent, and we consistently created numerous scoring opportunities. I am eagerly anticipating our team’s progress as the season unfolds.”

Freshman Gavin Kast led the team with six shots, followed closely by junior Marvin Perez with four, while sophomores Luis Orduna and freshman Riley Queen both recorded three shots each.

The youthful vigor of the Eagles’ offense was unmistakable throughout the afternoon, as Kast and Queen exhibited dynamic play, consistently creating numerous scoring opportunities on the field.

While the win is commendable, the Eagles found themselves far from satisfied with the final score, which displayed a 1-0 victory but belied a host of missed opportunities on the field.

“We maintained lateral ball movement, but we need to convert our scoring opportunities. I hold high expectations for our upcoming matches,” said senior Vincent Marra. “As a senior, I’m giving my all in my final season, and I know my teammates beside me are doing the same.”

The Eagles enjoyed a plethora of opportunities during the opening and mid-stages of the second half but were unable to capitalize and find the back of the net. In total, the Eagles outshot Regent 27-0 and 9-0 in shots on goal. 

After the game, reflecting on the match, sophomore Niklas Hatchett stated, “Our solid defensive performance allowed us to maintain a clean sheet. However, we see this game as a valuable learning experience, propelling us forward into the next match.”

In a striking déjà vu, junior Lestath Savage, who secured the lone goal in last year’s 2-1 victory, repeated his feat in Friday’s matchup, finding the net in the 37th minute to grant the Eagles the lead just before halftime.

Savage, last season’s leading goal scorer with five goals, continues to dazzle on the field with his remarkable ball-handling skills and adeptness at making penetrating runs behind the defense, a process that was once again on full display today.

The Eagles not only clinched victory but also launched their season on a robust defensive note, achieving a shutout.

Orduna, in his season debut, exhibited a commanding presence across the field, delivering one assist and a notable shot on goal, while consistently looming as an offensive threat throughout the entirety of the game.

The Eagles have surged ahead in the series against their counterparts, claiming victory in all three encounters with a cumulative score of 14-2.

This marks the inaugural occasion in more than a decade that the Eagles have maintained a clean sheet without conceding a single shot in a match. The previous lowest shot total during this period was a mere three shots on September 9, 2013, when they secured a 2-1 victory against Southern Virginia.

The Eagles are set to return to the field on Saturday, September 9, when they will have the comfort of playing on home turf at 3:00 PM against Wison.